Caring for your Jewellery
Each piece of Sophie Harley London jewellery has a beautiful and distinctive finish. Taking good care of your jewellery will help to ensure it remains pristine and sparkling for generations to come.
Here are our top tips for cleaning and caring for your jewellery:
- Take your jewellery off if you're involved in any activity which could scratch, knock or damage it. If in any doubt, take it off and keep it safe.
- Take it off when you go to bed.
- Keep it well away from chemicals, especially chlorine. If it does come into contact with chemicals, rinse it in water immediately.
- Bathe and apply any lotions or perfumes before you put your jewellery on. Organic gemstones like pearls and opals are particularly vulnerable to acids, even perspiration.
- Store it separately, ideally in a soft-lined box or case, so that your favourite pieces don't tangle, rub or scratch one another. Pearls in particular should be kept separately as they are easily scratched by hard gemstones.
- Make sure chains and necklaces are fastened when storing to avoid tangling.
- Remove jewellery while cooking and cleaning.
- When storing jewellery, please keep it away from sunlight, excessive heat or damp conditions.
*Source: National Association of Jewellers
Silver and Silver with Gold Plated Detail Jewellery
Sophie Harley London silver jewellery has a unique appearance and finish. As with all silver jewellery, it may become tarnished over time and we recommend gently rubbing a silver polishing cloth on the silver parts to restore the shine. If the piece has become very tarnished, a soft toothbrush with mild soapy warm water can also be used. Do NOT use silver dip as it will strip the original finish.
Please avoid any contact with chemicals such as chlorine as this will oxidise and turn your silver black.
Fully Gold Plated Jewellery
The plating on our rings is 5 microns thick and on all other pieces it is 3 microns thick. Whilst this is considerably thicker than a “flash” plate or gilding, the plating will wear gradually over time.
Please contact us if you require a quote for re-plating.
18ct Gold and Platinum
Whilst these metals don’t tarnish, they may benefit from a polish from time to time and we recommend rubbing your jewellery gently with a gold or platinum polishing cloth to restore the shine. Stone set pieces may also benefit from cleaning with a soft toothbrush in mild soapy warm water.
If you would like us to professionally clean any of your Sophie Harley London jewellery, please contact us at the studio for a quote.
If you think it’s time to give your jewellery a new lease of life, we have over 25+ years of experience in remodelling and upcycling luxury jewellery. Find out more about our bespoke jewellery design service, or contact us for a quote.